Chapter: Public Service Commission, Attorney General, CAG, Election Commission

The first general elections in India were held in:

A. 1949
B. 1950
C. 1951
D. 1947
Answer» C. 1951

The Congress lost its monopoly of power in the States for the first time after the elections of:

A. 1967
B. 1971
C. 1977
D. 1955
Answer» A. 1967

The State Election Commission can be removed from office:

A. only by the Governor
B. in the same manner and on the same grounds as a Judge of the Supreme Court
C. only by the President on the advice of the Chief Justice of the concerned State
D. in the same manner as the Vice-President of India
Answer» B. in the same manner and on the same grounds as a Judge of the Supreme Court

Electioneering has to stop in a constituency:

A. one day before the election
B. 48 hours before election starts
C. 36 hours before a poll commences
D. 48 hours before the closing hour of polling
Answer» D. 48 hours before the closing hour of polling

Who is responsible for the registration of voters?

A. Government
B. Voters
C. Political parties
D. Election Commission
Answer» D. Election Commission

Who can cast their votes by postal ballot? 1. Members of the Armed Forces. 2. Officials on election duty. 3. Foreign Service personal when posted abroad.

A. I and III
B. II and III
C. III only
D. I, II and III
Answer» D. I, II and III

A political party is recognised by the Election Commission only if: 1. it has been engaged in political activity for a continuous period of five years. 2. has returned at least one member of the Lok Sabha for every 2Smembers of that House or any fraction of that number elected from that State. 3. has polled not less than six percent of the total number of valid votes polled by all contesting candidates at the general elections. 4. has contested election in four or more States in three consecutive general elections.

A. I and II
B. I, III and IV
C. I, II and III
D. I, II, III and IV
Answer» C. I, II and III

What is the correct sequence of steps in electoral procedure? 1. Filing of nominations. 2. Presidential notification. 3. Scrutiny of nomination papers. 4. Withdrawal of candidature. 5. Allotment of symbols.

A. I, III, IV, V, II
B. II, I, IV, V, III
C. I, III, V, IV, II
D. II, I, III, IV, V
Answer» D. II, I, III, IV, V

Recognition to a political party is accorded by: [CDS 1992]

A. the Speaker of the Lok Sabha in the case of national parties and the Speaker of Legislative Assemblies in the case of regional parties
B. the Election Commission
C. the Ministry of Parliamentary Affairs
D. a Committee of Whips
Answer» B. the Election Commission

Which one of the following statements is not correct? [CDS 2004]

A. The Election Commissioner scan not be removed from their office except on recommendations by the Chief Election Commissioner
B. In case of difference of opinion amongst the Chief Election Commissioner and other 'Election Commissioners, the matter is decided by the Law Commission
C. The Chief Election Commissioner and' other Election Commissioners enjoy equal powers
D. The term of office of an Election Commissioner is six years from the date he assumes office or till the day he attains the age of 65 years, whichever is earlier
Answer» B. In case of difference of opinion amongst the Chief Election Commissioner and other 'Election Commissioners, the matter is decided by the Law Commission

With reference to India, consider the following electoral systems: [CDS 2004] 1. System of direct election on the basis of adult suffrage. 2. System of proportional representation by means of single transferable vote. 3. List system of proportional representation. 4. Cumulative system of indirect representation. Which of these have been adopted for various elections in India?

A. 1 and 2
B. 2 and 3
C. 1, 3 and 4
D. 1, 2, 3 and 4
Answer» A. 1 and 2

State funding of elections takes place in : [IAS 1997]

A. USA and Canada
B. Britain and Switzerland
C. France and Italy
D. Germany and Austria
Answer» D. Germany and Austria

Consider the following tasks: [IAS 2004] 1) Superintendence, direction and conduct of free and fair elections. 2) Preparation of electoral rolls for all elections to the Parliament, State-Legislatures and the Office of the President and the Vice-President. 3) Giving recognition to political parties, allotting election symbols to political parties and individuals contesting the election. 4) Proclamation of final verdict in the case of election disputes. Which of the above are the functions of the Election Commission of India?

A. 1, 2 and 3
B. 2, 3 and 4
C. 1 and 3
D. 1, 2 and 4
Answer» A. 1, 2 and 3

The conditions of service and tenure of the Election Commissioner is prescribed by:

A. the Constitution
B. Parliament
C. the President
D. Government
Answer» B. Parliament

Who has the power to decide an election petition? I. District Court II. Supreme Court III. High Courts IV. Tribunals

A. I, II and III
B. IV only
C. II and IV
D. II and III
Answer» D. II and III

A person is eligible to vote in the general elections if he or she: 1. is a citizen of India. 2. is not less than 21 years of age. 3. does not hold any office of profit under the Government. 4. is not disqualified on grounds of unsound mind.

A. I, II and III
B. I and IV
C. I and II
D. I, II and IV
Answer» B. I and IV

The Area of Lok Sabha Constituency for the purpose of general election is determined by the :

A. Delimitation Commission
B. Election Commission
C. Census Commission
D. President
Answer» B. Election Commission

Which of the following is not correct?

A. The Election Commission consists of the Chief Election Commissioner and such number of other Election Commissioners as President may fix
B. The Election Commission conducts the elections to the Parliament, the State Legislatures, the offices of the President and Vice-President and all local bodies
C. The Chief Election Commissioner is the Chairman of the Election Commission
D. The conditions of service of the Chief Election Commissioner shall not be varied to his disadvantage
Answer» B. The Election Commission conducts the elections to the Parliament, the State Legislatures, the offices of the President and Vice-President and all local bodies

The declaration which outlines the future programme and policy of a political party issued on the eve of a general election is called:

A. white paper
B. manifesto
C. yellow paper
D. mandate
Answer» B. manifesto

The jurisdiction of the Finance Commission does not extend to:

A. recommendation of the distribution between the Union and the States of the net proceeds of taxes
B. recommendation of the allocation to the States of the respective shares of such tax proceeds
C. recommendation of the allocation of funds among the various heads of expenditure in the Union and State budgets
D. recommendation of the principles which govern the Grants-in-aid of the revenue of the States out of the . Consolidated Fund of India
Answer» C. recommendation of the allocation of funds among the various heads of expenditure in the Union and State budgets

The first Law Officer of the Government of India is:

A. Chief Justice of India
B. Law Minister
C. Attorney General
D. Auditor General
Answer» C. Attorney General

Who is the highest Law Officer of a State?

A. Attorney General
B. Advocate General
C. Solicitor General
D. Secretary General Law Department
Answer» B. Advocate General

Which of the following is not true regarding the Attorney General of India?

A. He represents Government in any reference made by the President under Article 143
B. His consent is necessary for initiating proceedings for contempt in certain cases
C. His consent is necessary for finalization of appointment of Judges to State High Courts
D. He appears in courts of law on behalf of the Houses of Parliament or the Speaker
Answer» C. His consent is necessary for finalization of appointment of Judges to State High Courts

In the discharge of his functions, the Attorney General is assisted by :

A. a Solicitor General
B. two Solicitors-General and four Additional Solicitors-General
C. a Solicitor General and two Additional Solicitors General
D. None of the above
Answer» B. two Solicitors-General and four Additional Solicitors-General

The Attorney General of India has the right to audience in :

A. any High Court
B. Supreme Court
C. any Sessions Court
D. any Court of law within the territory of India
Answer» D. any Court of law within the territory of India

Which of the following are true regarding the Attorney General of India?
1. He is the first Law Officer of the Government of India.
2. He has the right of audience in all Courts in India.
3. He has the right to speak and vote in the Houses of Parliament or any Parliamentary Committee.
4. He must have the same qualifications as are required to be a judge of the High Court.

A. I and II
B. I, II and III
C. II, III and IV
D. I, II, III and IV
Answer» A. I and II

The Attorney General of India holds office during the pleasure of the:

A. President
B. Prime Minister
C. Parliament
D. Chief Justice
Answer» A. President

Which of the following is/are correct with regard to the office of Attorney General of India?
1. He is a member of the Cabinet.
2. He can speak in either House of Parliament and vote on any issue.
3. He must be qualified to become a Judge of the Supreme Court.
4. His remuneration is fixed by Parliament.

A. II and IV
B. I, II and IV
C. III only
D. III and IV
Answer» C. III only

The functions of the Comptroller and Auditor General of India include auditing and reporting on the receipts and expenditure of:

A. Union Government only
B. State Government only
C. Union and State Governments
D. Union and State Governments and companies substantially financed by both
Answer» C. Union and State Governments

Term of Comptroller and Auditor General of India is: [CRPF 1990]

A. 6 years
B. 65 years of age
C. 6 years or 65 years of age whichever is earlier
D. None of the above
Answer» C. 6 years or 65 years of age whichever is earlier

State which of the following statements is incorrect?

A. Comptroller and Auditor General controls all disbursements and audits the accounts of both the Union and the State Governments
B. He annually submits a report to the President relating to the accounts of Union
C. The annual report of the Comptroller and Auditor General is considered by Public Accounts Committee of Parliament
D. No money by the Union and State Governments can be spent without prior approval of the Comptroller and Auditor General
Answer» D. No money by the Union and State Governments can be spent without prior approval of the Comptroller and Auditor General

Which of the following are true regarding the Comptroller and Auditor General of India? 1. The office of the CAG has been created by the Constitution. 2. He holds office for a term of five years or till the age of 60 years, whichever is earlier. 3. He can be removed from office only by impeachment. 4. He has to audit and report on all expenditure from the Consolidated Fund of India and of each State and Union Territory having a Legislative Assembly and see whether expenditure has been in accordance with the law.

A. I, II, III and IV
B. I, III and IV
C. II and III
D. III and IV
Answer» B. I, III and IV

The Comptroller and Auditor General can be removed from office:

A. in the same way as the President can be removed
B. in the same manner as that prescribed for the removal of a Supreme Court Judge
C. by the President on a report by the Supreme Court
D. in none of the above ways
Answer» B. in the same manner as that prescribed for the removal of a Supreme Court Judge

In case of which of the following, the method of removal from office is the same? 1. Judge of the Supreme Court. 2. Chief Election Commissioner. 3. President of India.

A. I and II
B. II and III
C. I and III
D. I, II and III
Answer» D. I, II and III

Which of the following political parties came into being before independence? 1. Communist Party of India (Marxist) 2. Communist Party of India 3. Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam 4. Bharatiya Janata Party

A. I and II
B. II only
C. I, II and III
D. II and IV
Answer» B. II only

Zonal Council are provided:

A. by the Constitution
B. by Parliamentary Act
C. under the 42nd Amendment Act
D. by Presidential ordinance
Answer» B. by Parliamentary Act

The Ex-officio Chairman of a Zonal Council is:

A. one of the Union Ministers
B. the Governor of the State where the Zonal Council meets
C. the Chief Minister of the State where the Council meets
D. elected by the member-State Chief minister
Answer» C. the Chief Minister of the State where the Council meets

The main purpose of Zonal Councils is to:

A. settle disputes between States in a Zone
B. advise on matters of common interest to States in a Zone
C. ensure that laws passed by various States do not conflict with each other
D. devise best ways of utilising available resources of States
Answer» B. advise on matters of common interest to States in a Zone

An Inter-State Council was set up in 1990 under Article 263 of the Constitution by the:

A. President
B. Parliament
C. Government
D. Planning Commission
Answer» A. President

The duties envisaged by the Constitution for the Inter-State Council are to : 1. inquire into and advise on disputes between States 2. investigate matters of common interest for two or more States 3. make recommendation for coordination of policy and action relating to any subject 4. enforce provisions relating to the freedom of trade and commerce

A. I, II and IV
B. I, II and III
C. II and IV
D. II, III and IV
Answer» B. I, II and III

The members of the Inter-State Council are: 1. Six cabinet ministers nominated to it 2. Chief Ministers of all States 3. Secretaries of Union Ministries 4. Governors of all States

A. I and II
B. I, II and III
C. II only
D. II and IV
Answer» A. I and II

The Prime Minister, Union Cabinet Ministers, Chief Ministers and Council of Ministers are all members of :

A. Planning Commission
B. National Development Council
C. Zonal Council
D. Regional Council
Answer» B. National Development Council

National Development Council is :

A. political body
B. non-political body
C. statutory body
D. None of the above
Answer» B. non-political body

According to the National Human Rights Commission Act, 1993, who amongst the following can be its Chairman? [IAS 2004]

A. Any serving Judge of the Supreme Court
B. Any serving Judge of the High Court
C. Only a retired Chief Justice of India
D. Only a retired Chief Justice of a High Court
Answer» C. Only a retired Chief Justice of India

Which of the following is not true about the Lok Pal Bill ?

A. The Lok Pal is institutionalised set-up to put curbs on erring Ministers
B. Once appointed, the Lok Pal can hold office for a maximum period of five years
C. Complaints to the Lok Pal can be made by any citizen other than a public servant
D. The Lok Pal is appointed by the Chief Justice of Supreme Court
Answer» D. The Lok Pal is appointed by the Chief Justice of Supreme Court

Who among the following cannot be removed from office except in the manner prescribed in the Constitution of India? [NDA 2005]

A. The Deputy Chairman, Planning Commission
B. The Governor of a State
C. The Chief Election Commissioner
D. The Chairman, Finance Commission
Answer» C. The Chief Election Commissioner

Consider the following statements:
1. The Attorney General of India can be a member of any Parliamentary Committee.
2. The Attorney General of India can take part in the proceedings of either House of Parliament.
3. To be appointed as the Attorney General of India, a person must be qualified to be appointed as a judge of the Supreme Court of India.
Which of the statements given above are correct? [NDA 2005]

A. 1 and 2
B. 2 and 3
C. 1 and 3
D. 1, 2 and 3
Answer» D. 1, 2 and 3

Consider the following statements with respect to Attorney General of India:
1. He is appointed by the President.
2. He must have the same qualifications as are required by a Judge of High Court.
3. In the performance of his duties he shall have the right of audience in all courts of India. Which of the statements given above is/are correct? [CDS 2009]

A. 1 only
B. 1 and 3
C. 2 and 3
D. 1, 2 and 3
Answer» D. 1, 2 and 3

Consider the following statements: 1. The Chairman and the Members of the UPSC are appointed by the President. 2. The Chairman and the Members of the UPSC are eligible for further employment under the Government. Which of the statements given above is/are correct? [CDS 2008]

A. 1 only
B. 2 only
C. Both 1 and 2
D. Neither 1 nor 2
Answer» A. 1 only

The Chief Election Commissioner of India holds office for a period of [CDS 2011]

A. six years
B. during the pleasure of the President
C. for six years or till the age of 65 years, whichever is earlier
D. for five years or till the age of 60 years, whichever is earlier
Answer» C. for six years or till the age of 65 years, whichever is earlier

Which one of the following is correct in respect of the commencement of the election process in India? [IAS 1995]

A. The recommendation for election is made by the government and the notification for election is issued by the Election Commission
B. The recommendation for election is made by the Election Commission and the notification for election is issued by the Home Ministry at the Centre and Home Departments in the States
C. The recommendation for election is made by the Election Commission and the notification for election is issued by the President and Governors of the States concerned
D. Both the exercises of making a recommendation for election and that of issuing a notification in respect of it are done by the Election Commission
Answer» A. The recommendation for election is made by the government and the notification for election is issued by the Election Commission

Which of the following is not correct?

A. A person seeking election to the Rajya Sabha must have completed the age of 30 years
B. A person seeking election to the Lok Sabha must have completed the age of 25 years
C. A person seeking election to a State Legislative Assembly must have completed the age of 21 years
D. A person eligible to vote for elections to a village panchayat must have completed the age of 18 years
Answer» C. A person seeking election to a State Legislative Assembly must have completed the age of 21 years

Graduates constitute a separate constituency for the election of specified number of members to the: [Railway Apprentices 1993]

A. Nyaya Panchayat
B. State Legislative Council
C. Rajya Sabha
D. State Legislative Assembly
Answer» B. State Legislative Council

The Chief Election Commissioner, according to a recent judgement of the Supreme Court is : [CDS 1994]

A. the final authority in matters to be decided by the Election Commission
B. to share his authority with members of the Election Commission
C. to go by majority opinion prevailing among the .members of the Election Commission
D. not bound by the Representation of the People Act which is amendable by Parliament
Answer» B. to share his authority with members of the Election Commission

Election of Rajya Sabha is held after: [RRB 1991]

A. 1 year
B. 2 years
C. 6 years
D. 5 years
Answer» B. 2 years

Who is a Returning Officer? [Teachers' Exam 1993]

A. An officer who returns the unaccepted applications for allotment of land
B. An officer who is sent back to his parent department
C. An officer who is head of the State Assembly Secretariat
D. An officer who is responsible for conduct of election in a constituency and declares results
Answer» D. An officer who is responsible for conduct of election in a constituency and declares results

Which of the following is not true about the electoral functions of the Parliament? [SBI PO 1991]

A. It helps the Prime Minister in forming the Central Cabinet
B. It participates in the election of the President
C. The Speaker and Deputy Speaker of the Lok Sabha are elected by the Members of the Parliament
D. Members of the Parliament vote for the election of the Vice-President
Answer» A. It helps the Prime Minister in forming the Central Cabinet

The powers of the Election Commission are given in which of the following Articles of the Constitution?

A. 286
B. 356
C. 324
D. 382
Answer» C. 324

Which of the following does not come under the purview of the Election Commission?

A. To conduct the election of PM of India
B. To conduct the election of President of India
C. To give recognition to the political parties
D. To assign election symbols to the political parties
Answer» A. To conduct the election of PM of India

The Electorate means:

A. those people who do not have the right to elect their representatives
B. all the citizens who possess the right to vote and elect their representatives in an election
C. those people who have the right to be elected
D. those people who have the right to live in a country
Answer» B. all the citizens who possess the right to vote and elect their representatives in an election

How many days-time is given for the candidates to file their nominations from the date of notification of the election?

A. 2 days
B. 4 days
C. 6 days
D. 8 Clays
Answer» D. 8 Clays

The Chief Election Commissioner can be removed:

A. by each House of Parliament by a special majority and on the ground of proven misbehaviour or incapacity
B. by the President of India
C. by the Supreme Court
D. on charges of corruption if proved in the Supreme Court
Answer» A. by each House of Parliament by a special majority and on the ground of proven misbehaviour or incapacity

Which of the following activities indulged in by a candidate during an election campaign constitute corrupt practices? 1. Giving gifts to voters to induce them to vote. 2. Appealing for votes on the grounds of caste or religion. 3. False character assassination of other candidates. 4. Propagation and glorification of Sati.

A. I and II
B. II and III
C. I, II and III
D. I, II, III and IV
Answer» D. I, II, III and IV

Which of the following is correct regarding booth capturing? 1. It has been defined in the Constitution after the 61st amendment. 2. It includes the seizure of a polling booth to prevent the orderly conduct of elections. 3. It is also committed when any elector is threatened and prevented from going to the polling station to cast his vote. 4. It has been declared a cognizable offence punishable by imprisonment.

A. 2, 3, and 4
B. 1, 2 and 3
C. 2 and 3
D. 1, 2, 3 and 4
Answer» A. 2, 3, and 4

Who appoints the Chief Election Commissioner of India? [CRPF 1990]

A. President
B. Prime Minister
C. Parliament
D. Chief Justice of India
Answer» A. President

The Election Commission does not conduct the elections to the:

A. Lok Sabha
B. Rajya Sabha
C. Local bodies
D. President's elections
Answer» C. Local bodies

The Election Commission holds election for: [NDA 1994]

A. the Parliament
B. the Parliament and State Legislative Assemblies
C. the Parliament, State Legislative Assemblies and State Legislative Councils
D. the Parliament, State Legislatures and the posts of the President and the Vice-President
Answer» D. the Parliament, State Legislatures and the posts of the President and the Vice-President

The control of the preparation of electoral rolls for Parliament and legislatures vests with the: [CBI 1993]

A. Cabinet
B. Prime Minister
C. President
D. Election Commission
Answer» D. Election Commission

Members of the Union Public Service Commission can function as members up to the age of: [I. Tax 1989]

A. 60 years
B. 58 years
C. 62 years
D. 65 years
Answer» D. 65 years

The Chairman and members of State Public Service Commission are appointed by the:

A. President
B. Prime Minister
C. Governor
D. Chairman, UPSC
Answer» A. President

Who appoints the Chairman of the UPSC?

A. President
B. Chief Justice of India
C. Prime Minister
D. Speaker of Lok Sabha
Answer» A. President

Which of the following is an extra Constitutional and non-statutory body?

A. Election Commission
B. Finance Commission
C. Planning Commission
D. Union Public Service Commission
Answer» C. Planning Commission

Which one of the following is not a function of UPSC?

A. It conducts examinations for the appointment to the services of the Union
B. It shall be consulted on all matters relating to methods of recruitment to civil services and posts
C. It shall be consulted on-all disciplinary matters affecting a person serving the Government of India
D. It shall be consulted as regards the reservation of posts for backward classes, scheduled castes and tribes
Answer» D. It shall be consulted as regards the reservation of posts for backward classes, scheduled castes and tribes

UPSC submits its annual report on its work to:

A. the Parliament
B. the Union Home Minister
C. the President
D. the Chief Justice of India
Answer» B. the Union Home Minister

The members of UPSC hold the office:

A. during the pleasure of President
B. as long as they enjoy confidence in Parliament
C. for life or till they attain the age of 70 years
D. for the term of six years or till they attain the age of 65 years
Answer» D. for the term of six years or till they attain the age of 65 years

The members of All-India Services are appointed under the signature of:

A. President
B. Home Minister
C. Vice-President
D. Chairman of UPSC
Answer» A. President

The members of UPSC can be removed from the office before the expiry of the term by the :

A. Prime Minister
B. Chairman of UPSC
C. President on recommendation of Supreme Court
D. Prime Minister on recommendation of Supreme Court
Answer» C. President on recommendation of Supreme Court

There port of the UPSC:

A. is to be accepted by the Government in to
B. may be ignored without explanation
C. has to be discussed in Parliament before being accepted
D. is presented to the President
Answer» C. has to be discussed in Parliament before being accepted

The members of a State Commission can be removed by the:

A. Governor on a report by the Supreme Court
B. Governor on a resolution passed by Parliament
C. President on a report by the Supreme Court
D. President on a resolution passed by Parliament
Answer» C. President on a report by the Supreme Court

The resignation letter of a State Public Service Commission member is addressed to the :

A. President
B. Governor
C. Chief Justice of India
D. Chief Minister
Answer» B. Governor

The UPSC conducts examinations for: 1. Central Services. 2. All India Services. 3. State Services. 4. State Services for two or more States jointly.

A. I, II and III
B. II and IV
C. I only
D. I and II
Answer» D. I and II

The composition of the UPSC is:

A. laid down in the Constitution
B. determined by Parliament
C. determined by the President
D. determined by the Chairman of the UPSC
Answer» C. determined by the President

The Chairman of the Finance Commission must be:

A. qualified to be a High Court Judge
B. a person having special knowledge of economics
C. a person having experience in public affairs
D. All of the above
Answer» C. a person having experience in public affairs

Finance Commission consists of:

A. five members
B. four whole time members
C. Chairman and four members
D. a Chairman and three other members
Answer» D. a Chairman and three other members

Finance Commission is constituted by the President every :

A. two years
B. three years
C. five years
D. four years
Answer» C. five years

The Centre-State financial distribution takes place on the recommendation by the:

A. Finance Minister
B. Planning Commission
C. Finance Commission
D. Sarkaria Commission
Answer» A. Finance Minister
Tags
Question and answers in Public Service Commission, Attorney General, CAG, Election Commission, Public Service Commission, Attorney General, CAG, Election Commission multiple choice questions and answers, Public Service Commission, Attorney General, CAG, Election Commission Important MCQs, Solved MCQs for Public Service Commission, Attorney General, CAG, Election Commission, Public Service Commission, Attorney General, CAG, Election Commission MCQs with answers PDF download